Good luck and congratulations for the fourth year in a row to Mike Curtis and Joe Staton who have been nominated for the 2016 Harvey Award for Best Syndicated Strip or Panel. Team Tracy has won the award for each of the last three years (2013-2015) are in the running to be the only comic strip other than Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes) to have won four consecutive years in a row.
The Harvey Awards are a leading comic award that is presented each year at the Baltimore Comic-Com and recognizes outstanding work in comics and sequential art in honor of the late Harvey Kurtzman (1924-1993). Nominations are chosen by and voted on by other comic book professions (i.e. those who write, draw, ink, letter, color, edit and otherwise create), meaning the honors are given out by peers in the industry.
This year there are seven nominees, a couple more than normal. The full list of nominees for “best Syndicated Strip or Panel” are,
- Dick Tracy, Joe Staton and Mike Curtis, Tribune Media Services
- Bizarro, Dan Piraro, King Features Syndicate
- Bloom County, Berkeley Breathed, Universal Uclick
- Pearls Before Swine, Stephan Pastis, Universal Uclick
- Mutts, Patrick McDonnell, King Features Syndicate
- Phoebe and Her Unicorn, Dana Simpson, Universal Uclick
- Zippy and the Pinhead, Bill Griffith, King Features Syndicate
Competition looks fierce this year with some fresh challengers and balloting will continue until August 8th. As is tradition, all Harvey awards will be presented at the Baltimore Comic-Con taking place September 2nd-4th. I have not heard one way or another but in previous years Mike and Joe have both been in attendance and would expect the tradition to continue.