Moon Maid Descrates her own grave?
Dedicated readers of the Dick Tracy comic strip are no doubt aware of the mysterious appearance of a character who may or may not be Mysta “Moon Maid” Tracy, Junior’s first wife. Moon Maid, for those that don’t know was introduced in 1964 when Dick Tracy and Diet Smith visited the Moon and was killed by a car bomb meant for the heroic detective in 1978. The mysterious character who we’ve been teased with over the last eight months has battled crime in the city with Moon Maid’s signature look and powers, only a mask covering her face. Is it Moon Maid? We’ll soon find out, Mike Curtis has dropped the news that the Moon Maid storyline will take center stage starting in late April and much like the Mr. Crime storyline of last year will involve a host of new and old characters.
Take the chance before then to get caught up on some of the coming characters Mike has teased, including,
- MM – Is she the real Moon Maid?
- Notta Fallar – After suffering devastating losses in 1967/1968, the former Mrs. Chin Chillar just might be out of prison
- Purdy Fallar – Last seen frozen to death in 1968, we bet Purdy has been defrosted back to life.
- Dr. Zy Ghote – A cloning doctor last seen pretending to clone Mumbles in 1979
- Stellaluna – A very Moon like name, could she be impersonating Moon Maid?
- Retik – We’ve seen him, but we don’t know who he is. Is he a man from the Moon?
- Bardoll – We’ll have to wait and see who Bardoll is
- Blackjack – John Dillinger wannabe with a good heart taken into custody by the FBI last year
- BB Eyes – The returning gangster now employed by the Apparatus
- Doubleup – One of Mike and Joe’s best new characters, possibly partnered with BB Eyes
- Mrs Flattop, aka Stilleta Jones – Introduced just last year
- Mumbles – This bad egg always turns up, and we smile every time he comes back
- Joe Montana – I’m going to guess this isn’t the football player
- Joe the Bartender – I sure could use a drink
Keen eyed Dick Tracy fans may have noticed a bit of censorship in the Chicago Tribune during the recent storyline involving a kidnapped child. The Tribune has chosen to remove all images of a child in danger, replacing the offending panels with an alternate panel. The replacement panels are drawn with the same amount of skill and flow seamlessly suggesting Joe Staton and Mike Curtis were given warning of the Tribune’s intentions. We will not be too critical here (though we want to), the changes are minor and obviously came about because of a desire to keep child endangerment out of their comics, but they do remind us of a prior Chicago Tribune censorship incidents. With all other Dick Tracy strips across the country and online showing the original strips, few people even noticed!
The latest Dick Tracy storyline has kicked off with a seventy year old murder mystery that stretches all the way back to a Japanese internment camp during World War II. In this two month long story, Dick Tracy requests the help of an old associate, George Takei (George Tawara in the strip) and his husband Brad! Takei stated on his Facebook page that he and Brad are “truly honored to be a part of it.” It’s been a busy couple months for Takei in the comics, in December 2012 he made a special appearance in issue No. 6 of Archie Comics’ “Kevin Keller.” The fact that the strip is using an often glossed over piece of American history, Japanese Internment Camps, is very commendable and we can’t wait to read the story.
As many Crimestoppers know, a number of Dick Tracy films have entered into the Public Domain and can be seen for free…if you can find them. The Depot has taken the liberty of collecting this video together in a single easy to understand Dick Tracy Youtube Channel. Additional film and radio will be added as it is discovered. In particular, we’re looking for more Television episodes, drop us a line if you have any sources!
To make browsing the Depot that much more awesome, everything available on the Youtube channel is also available for viewing right here in the Dick Tracy Film and TV section. Just click our links and pictures and video will pop right up. Have fun!